The Powertraveller Solarmonkey Adventurer is my new solar charging device for my electronic outdoor gear like a camera, headlamp, and smartwatch. Previously, I have used my Anker Astro 3E in order to keep my electronic devices charged on a multi-day hiking trip. However, I realized that the battery will be low on energy after 4 days so I was looking for a device that I can recharge during my hiking and packrafting trips.
The Solarmonkey Adventurer has a 2500 mAh lithium-ion polymer battery, which is 4 times less than the Anker Astro 3E but with the possibility to recharge the battery every day e.g. by attaching it on my backpack during the day.
- multiple adapters included*
- 2500 mAh lithium-ion polymer battery*
- good solar panel (charges even when it is cloudy due to MPPT technology)*
- thermal insulation battery protection: -10C to 90C *
- short circuit protection*
- overload protection*
- low voltage protection*
- bag which can be attached to the backpack. Also includes a small pocket to store cables and adapters.*
- ISPO Award 2013*
- Can recharge the internal battery and external devices simultaneously*
- Solar Panel Battery can also be charged by USB*
- weight: 265 grams*
The Solar Panel seems to work quite to some extend and charges the battery if the sky is cloudy. However, this may take a couple of hours and you might only get a few percentages of battery power on your iPhone. There is a small LED on the Solarmonkey Adventurer which indicated if the battery is charging (red light) or if the battery is fully charged (green).
So far, I have tested the Solarmonkey Adventurer with my iphone and my Sony A7r and it charges my devices to some degree. If you need more battery capacity then you could either go for the Solarmonkey Extreme or just get the Solarmonkey Adventurer and buy a seperate battery like the new Anker Astro 2 or Anker Astro Pro with capacities up to 20.000 mAh (not tested if it works but should be no issue).
Update 21.06.2014: After some testing, I was not able to charge my iPhone up to 100% if the battery of the Solar panel is charged with the Solar panels. I received a replacement and need to test the device again. Will write an update as soon as possible.